Haven’t heard of Kwabs? Well let us help you get acquainted with a musician who has been named ‘Artist to Watch’ by NME, The Guardian and BBC Radio as well as garnered praise from the likes of Jessie Ware, India Arie, Emeli Sandé, Joss Stone and Plan B, AND has also had the pleasure of working with name producers including Sohn and Dave “the Invisible” Okumu. With his new single Walk out now, we thought it was the perfect time to make a list of 5 times Kwabs was straight up winning at life.
1. Kwabs first caught the attention of the internet when he did a bunch of covers on YouTube including this little gem, a cover of James Blake’s “The Wilhelm Scream”. We might be a little biased but we’d like to paraphrase Childish Gambino and say this to James Blake “Don’t be mad coz Kwabs is doin’ you better than you doin’ you”.
2. If you can somehow take Katy Perry’s ‘Dark Horse’ and make it soulful as all hell with nothing but an acoustic guitar and some backup singers then you have got some serious skills.
3. Ever seen someone perform an acoustic session in an emptied out pool? No well Kwabs has. The video below shows Kwabs belting out his new single ‘Walk’ and if the song wasn’t cool enough this setting certainly adds to it.
4. In this vid for BBC Radio Xtra1, Kwabs gives his ridiculously silky smooth soul vocals a workout on his track ‘Pray For Love’. Just take it all in and be jealous, that’s all you can do.
5. Watch as Kwabs performs whilst also showing you around his house!!! OK so he’s not doing both at the same time because that would be very confusing and a little counterproductive BUT you can get a little glimpse into how he gets super creative on his walls at home.
As if all this wasn’t enough, he also happens to be a Grandmaster of working with 140 characters as showcased by his Twitter account. Check it out for a whole heap of sincere and hilarious tweets… even his bio is brilliant: “I sing. I am brown. I have a slightly wonky face. I like soup. I have verbal diarrhea-ed through this bio. “