If you're a big fan of driving while listening to Billie Eilish, then we have some great news. Your love of Billie might be helping you keep safe on the roads.
A study conducted by PassMeFast ranked songs from Spotify's 20 most popular driving playlists based on three key categories - "danceability, high energy and how emotionally charged the music is". Essentially, if the song is getting you moving around while you're driving, or it's messing with how you're feeling, then it's probably not the safest.
The result? Billie Eilish's Bad Guy had the lowest "distraction score" out of the ~1,500 songs analysed, coming in with a score of just 8.1%. Who would have guessed that the 2019 Hottest 100 winner was actually the perfect driving soundtrack?
Other songs that were found to be particularly safe to listen to when driving include When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars, enough for you by Olivia Rodrigo and 7 rings by Ariana Grande. Bonus.
However, if you're a fan of Outkast or The Killers, then listening to them while you're driving might throw you off your game. Hey Ya! had a distraction score of 72.6%, while Mr. Brightside had a distraction score of 69.6%. Might be worth saving those tracks for when you get out of the car.
You can find out more about the study here. We've also included the 10 least/most distracting driving songs below. When you're building your next driving playlist, you can use the information below to make informed choices and keep yourself safe.
Top 10 Safest Driving Songs:
1. bad guy – Billie Eilish (8.1%)
2. July – Noah Cyrus (9.3%)
3. Bruises – Lewis Capaldi (10.2%)
4. When I Was Your Man– Bruno Mars (10.3%)
5. Love Yourself – Justin Bieber (10.4%)
6. Dancing On My Own – Calum Scott (11.5%)
7. 7 rings – Ariana Grande (11.6%)
8. enough for you – Olivia Rodrigo (12.2%)
9. Mr. Blue Sky – Electric Light Orchestra (12.3%)
10. All Of Me – John Legend (13.4%)
Top 10 Most Distracting Driving Songs:
1. Hey Ya!– Outkast (72.6%)
2. Mr. Brightside – The Killers (69.6%)
3. Empire State Of Mind – JAY-Z (69.5%)
4. Take On Me– a-ha (69.4%)
5, Can't Stop– Red Hot Chili Peppers (69.0%)
6. Feel So Close (Radio Edit) – Calvin Harris (68.5%)
7. You Give Love A Bad Name– Calvin Harris (68.5%)
8. Bring Me To Life – Evanescence (67.3%)
9. Levitating (67.2%)
10. Dusk Till Dawn (Radio Edit) – ZAYN (66.2%)